The Society is sending a letter to all clubs this weekend explaining our position regarding summer rugby and general appointments. Some of the relevant details sent to the clubs are shown below.
However, in these Covid days especially, YOUR SAFETY is paramount. If you are not comfortable with the arrangements and they cannot be upgraded there and then you should not officiate, but please let me know in writing as soon as possible. The same message is being sent to the clubs (see below).
To keep up to date with what form of the game can be played please refer to our news page on the website.
Rab Cooper – telephone number 07527 637975 will be the summer rugby appointments officer.
Specific messages to clubs:
1 All requests for referees are to be made via ‘WhosTheRef’ (No Change)
2. The Society will appoint in the normal way. Wherever possible and to keep travel to a minimum, referees will be appointed locally.
3. On acceptance by the referee of the appointment an email will be issued to the club contact who requested the referee.
4. The Club must contact you at least 48 hours before KO to confirm the game and discuss any specific arrangements. Failure to do so might mean you being appointed to another game.
5. The club will be responsible for paying your travel expenses on the day. The society will not be issuing match fee invoices to the clubs and you will not be able to claim expenses from the society.
6. With a relaxation in the laws around scrums and mauls the society may appoint a referee who would normally officiate at a lower level but who the society considered competent.
7. It is not the referee’s responsibility to inspect the adherence to any COVID regulations. However, if on arrival at the club if he/she feels that their safety is being jeopardised they have been instructed not to referee the game. It is the responsibility of the club to ensure all government regulations are adhered to.
To help clubs as they recover from the last twelve months the society plan to keep these guidelines in place until the 31st August and thus will apply to any pre-season friendlies that you arrange.