Ahead of the new season we are bringing a new section called “Meet the Ref”. We will use this to meet referees from all levels from up and down the country.
To launch this we thought we may as well start big and that we did, we managed to catch up with the Head of Professional Game Match Officials Tony Spreadbury.
We put 10 simple questions to “Spreaders” about his time as a referee.
1) How long have you been refereeing for?
Retired last Season as I had my second Hip replacement. I refereed for over 30 years.
2) First match you can remember refereeing?
Combe Down 111’s v Walcot Old Boys 111’2 – my Dad was playing
3) Why did you start refereeing?
Injury to shoulder
4) Favourite ground to ref at?
Bath (The Rec)
5) Best refereeing moment?
Refereeing the Quarter final of the RWC 2003 – South Africa v New Zealand.
6) The last game you refereed?
Chard 111 v Yatton 111
7) Pre match food?
Beans on Toast
8) Any pre match rituals?
Brush my hair!
9) One piece of advise to a new referee?
10) Best pieces of advise you were given?
We would like to take the chance to thank Tony for his time and wish him all the best for the long season ahead.